Continuous Glucose Monitoring, or CGM, is a technique to monitor glucose levels continuously throughout the day. CGMs measure blood sugar in an interstitial fluid using a minimally invasive electrochemical sensor that is implanted below the skin.
The sensor then sends a low-frequency signal that is received by your phone, watch, or other types of the receiver and transmits glucose data.
What makes CGM different?
Every 5 to 15 minutes, throughout the day, CGM devices take regular measurements of glucose and convert those values into dynamic data. Users receive real-time data. Whereas,
Blood glucose metres (BGM) display a moment in time’s snapshot. For every reading, you are required to prick your finger.
In contrast to conventional glucose metres, CGM tracks your blood sugar levels all day and all night, displaying your highs and lows for the full week.
A CGM can:
- Keep track of critically low nocturnal blood sugar levels that frequently go undetected
- Keep an eye on high levels between meals.
- Display blood sugar increases in the morning
- Analyze your effects from diet and exercise.
- Check to see if your treatment is effective on a daily basis.
Did You Know: Although CGM makes it easier for you to monitor blood glucose, not every diabetic is advised to use CGM.
Who Can Use CGM?
You should switch to CGM
- If you see significant fluctuations in your blood sugar levels without a clear cause
- If you are diagnosed with gestational diabetes
- If you are on regular insulin
What is Freestyle Libre?
The FreeStyle Libre is a continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) device that does not require a finger prick blood sample.
Pros and Cons of Freestyle Libre
Pros of using a CGM for blood glucose monitoring.
- There is no need for a finger poke, and the process of applying sensors is painless.
- Convenient for on-the-go situations including travel, work, and other situations
- Real-time blood glucose tracking
- Cheaper than alternative glucose metres
- Waterproof sensor for brief bathing and swimming sessions in shallow water
Cons of CGM
- May irritate the area where the sensor is inserted.
- Results might not be as accurate as a conventional blood calibration method since the sensor measures glucose in cellular fluids rather than blood.
How to Use the Freestyle Libre Sensor?
With 3 simple steps, you can easily get started with your on-the-go monitoring.
- Step-1: Apply
Apply the sensor to the back of your upper arm with the applicator.
- Step-2: Scan
A painless one-second scan is all you need to check your glucose readings.
- Step-3: Read Out
See your glucose reading, sugar data, and trend analysis that shows you where your glucose is heading for the next 14 days.
The FreeStyle Libre provides you with information regarding your sugar levels, just like conventional blood glucose monitors. It may be a sign of either hyperglycemia (excessively high glucose levels) or hypoglycemia (excessively low glucose levels).
The monitor can also assist you in identifying patterns in your blood sugar levels over time. You might observe, for instance, that they’re moving upward or downward or stable. Sharing this information with your doctor will be essential in developing your diabetes management strategy.
Buy BeatO CURV Smartphone Connected Glucometer Machine with FREE 25 Strips & 25 Lancets from Flipkart today
The FreeStyle Libre’s functionality and usability are generally praised by consumers.
The advantages of FreeStyle Libre
The Abbott FreeStyle Libre’s major advantage is that it eliminates the need for self-pricking throughout the day. Apart from this, the other benefits of adapting to the FreeStyle Libre system are the following:
Utilizable & Comfortable
Day and night, the sensor continually records and automatically measures glucose readings. This enables a painless deeper understanding of your blood sugar levels and constant monitoring of them. Thus, there is no harm and only gain.
With each scan, you receive your current glucose reading, glucose statistics from the previous 8 hours, and a trend arrow that indicates the direction your glucose is headed. People with diabetes can avert emergencies and take appropriate safeguards thanks to the FreeStyle Libre system.
Glucose measurements are possible through clothing with a quick, painless scan. You can monitor your blood sugar levels whenever and wherever you choose. How convenient, yes?